NRECA Director Advisory Group Notes

Home Page Forums Member Discussions NRECA Director Advisory Group Notes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Dave Munk Dave Munk 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Dave Munk
    Dave Munk

In April at the NRECA Director Conference, a new group was announced to provide more direct input from Directors to NRECA. The Director Advisory Group was formed in June and is composed of 13 Directors from across the country. Each region has between 1-3 representatives, ranging in experience from 2-28 years. The group will have a quarterly conference call and meet in person at next year’s Director Conference. Most members will serve a one year term, as there were approximately 50 interested Directors from which the initial thirteen were selected, but some members will continue for a second year.

I was selected as the representative from Region 7, and our first call was held last week. The discussion covered two main topics: the challenges and opportunities we see for our system and NRECA overall, and Director Education. Following introductory discussion regarding the group’s charter and everyone’s expectations, there was an active discussion on ideas to improve both the CCD and BLC programming. There were several NRECA executives on the call (including Jo Ann), and they were very engaged with comments and input from the NRECA perspective.

Group members had been asked to complete a short survey covering their top three challenges for their systems and for coops nationally, along with the top three opportunities. Time did not permit an in depth discussion on such broad and important subjects, but it’s clear that the group is comprised of Directors who are actively looking at how their systems do business and interact with their members and communities. Member engagement, the utility model, member services, rates and regulations were all part of the survey replies. No complacency here! Not surprisingly, the opportunities were very aligned with the identified challenges – new technologies, advocacy,education, expanded member services and engagement were all part of the path forward for this group.

We didn’t solve the problems of the cooperative world on this first call, but we did set a very proactive and interactive tone, and the several NRECA executives were very attentive and actively engaged. I look forward to our next call this Fall, and in the meantime invite input from any Directors who are interested to comment.

Dave Munk
    Dave Munk

Quick update – the NRECA Regional Meetings are just around the corner, and I will be attending several while also visiting with NRECA staff. Please do not hesitate to contact me with ideas or input. Director voices will build a constructive dialogue with NRECA and each other.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.